Great for Summer: Nutrient-Packed No-Cook Breakfasts
In the hot days of summer, we often prefer not to eat a warm morning meal, but we still want to send children off to daycare or school properly fueled to learn and play. With a little bit of planning and preparation the night before, the kids can have an excellent breakfast and a great start to the day in little to no time at all. Speed up your morning routine with these simple breakfast ideas that are tasty, quick, and require no cooking!
1. Fruity pizza bagel
- Jazz up a bagel and cream cheese by topping it with colourful fresh fruit! Try sliced strawberries, clementine orange segments, and blueberries for a burst of flavour.
2. Apple Banana Overnight Oats
- In a small jar, layer 1/2 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats, 1 cup of milk*, 1/4 cup of vanilla yogurt, 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Add some finely chopped apples, mix well, and let steep in the fridge overnight. In the morning, mix it all up again, add some freshly sliced banana, and enjoy!
3. Berry Chia Cups
- In a cup or small container, add 1 cup of milk*, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract to 2-3 tablespoons of chia seeds and mix well. Let set overnight – the chia seeds will swell as they absorb all the liquid. In the morning, throw in some fresh berries and enjoy!
4. Egg and Cheese Muffin Sandwich
- Prepare this tasty 4-food group breakfast sandwich by topping an English muffin with some cheese, sliced tomato, and sliced hardboiled egg.
*The dairy milk in any of the recipes above can be replaced by fortified non-dairy beverages such as soy, almond or coconut milk for children with food allergies or restrictions.
Author: Melissa Frankel, Registered Dietitian